It's all about me!


Home
Diary
  • bossy

  • script
    In-Between







  • World Clock

    Sunday 11 November 2012

    Online Banking Security: Challenge Questions

    Online banking is the most convenient channel to pay our monthly commitment rather than queuing up a long winding line at a bank CDMs. Normally if it is a pay day for most government servants in Malaysia. I don't know, but people choose night time.

    I moved from a traditional method to a newer method which is the Online Banking. First, you need to create your login Username and Password. It comes with the setting of a number of security questions. Be careful...

    I intended to transfer fund to somebody's account. I was challenged with a question that has not been asked for long. After the wrong attempt I was logged out by the system. An error message was displayed urging me to call the Service Centre. I was asked should I ever called the centre in the past and I said NEVER. A personal who was assisting me on the line told me to clear the matter at any bank counter of its branch. Because the system has to verify my voice!

    The next day at 2.00 pm I went to the bank branch of where I had my account opened the first time. At the front counter I tried to explain my situation. Later a man officer asked me to login to their online banking system. I guess he just wanted to have a clear understanding of my problem. When the screen displayed some error message, he gave a thoughtful look but handed me a piece of paper. He wanted me to fill in my name, my IC number, and signature on the form. I was then led to a customer service counter. I need to wait for a while after I handed my form.

    When it was my turn. I have to again explain my issue with the online banking. The officer asked for my IC and ATM card. When everything seems clear: bio metric verification says Thumbprint:PASS, I left the bank with a smile on my face.The officer reminded me to login on that very day (otherwise my account cannot be helped) using the PIN given.

    When I reached home, it was the first thing I did. Huh? What's wrong? the system rejected my request to login into my account. Without hesitation I headed to the nearest bank branch (different branch).

    I went through attempts to call the Customer Service Centre because it was the MUST do procedure. I need to verify myself about four times. The standard procedure when you called the customer service is you have to verify yourself.

    The issue was that they could not release my account. I failed the voice verification. I later learnt from the officer that I have a shaky voice. Not sure of what it should relate to.

    From one officer to another bank officer of higher ranking post I sought for assistance. And again I have to verify my self. Even though the officer seem to know each other well to the person speaking over the phone, he had to verify himself in some kind of codes. I guess it was a standard protocol. I then asked to login the bank system using the last password login attempt. Whooa! Magic. My online banking is active again.

    I guess not all bank staff knows how their online banking system functions. At some point in the process, I was not satisfied with the way one of the bank staff attended to my problem. It was when I tried to login into the system it showed my username and caption. Of course it's there! But the staff kept telling me I had done mistakes such as entering wrong passwords. I tried to explain my situation but the staff didn't not seem to listen. It was like I didn't familiar to ICT even if it as simple as that one. Huh!...

    Later, I read from the bank website that even if you have reset your online banking, your username and challenge questions don't change!

    No comments: